If you are dealing with frizz and curls, your wish would be to have straight, smooth hair. Well, you can achieve that look by investing in a flat iron. The two most popular styling tools used by amateur and professional stylist are ceramic and titanium flat irons.
These materials make the flat iron quite effective, but there is a difference between the two materials and the results they offer. It is important you stand these differences before you choose between ceramic flat iron and titanium flat iron.
- Ceramic vs Titanium Flat Iron
- Ionic Metals: A Brief Explanation
- Ceramic Flat Iron
- Titanium Flat Iron
- Titanium versus Ceramic
- Best Titanium Flat Irons
- 1. BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Straightening Iron
- 2. Croc Classic Nano-Titanium Flat Iron
- Best Ceramic Flat Irons
- 1. HSI Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron
- 3. Infiniti Pro by Conair Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
- 3. Remington S5500 Digital Anti Static Ceramic Hair Straightener
- Choosing the Best Flat Iron for Your Hair
- The Bottom Line
Ceramic vs Titanium Flat Iron
When checking out ceramic vs titanium flat iron, the decision to buy the flat iron depends on you. If you are looking for salon-like finish, opt for a titanium flat iron. However, if you want to style your hair at home, ceramic flat iron is just what you need. So, check out your requirements and hair type first before you start looking for the right flat iron.
Ionic Metals: A Brief Explanation
It is important you understand the term ionic, as it is used ubiquitously by manufacturers when advertising flat irons. Ionic materials are those that have the ability to produce negative ions. Both ceramic and titanium are ionic. In other words, when they are heated, they produce negative ions.
Hair, on the other hand, is positively charged as it has high content of water. When you use a titanium or ceramic flat iron your curly, frizzy hair, it coats each hair strand with negative ions. As a result, the naturally occurring positive ions get neutralized, allowing the heat to straighten hair. This results in silky, smooth hair.
Ceramic Flat Iron
Ceramic is one of the most commonly used materials in flat iron. It heats uniformly and as a result, there are no hot or cold spots. This is important for consistent results. Also, ceramic does not become intensely hot like out conductors and hence, it minimizes heat damage to your hair.
It is prudent to remember that most ceramic flat irons are not completely made out of ceramic. Usually, they have an aluminum base with a coating of ceramic. This makes them more affordable, but increases the risk of the coating peeling or chipping off.
Hence, if you are looking for ceramic flat iron, opt for solid or pure ceramic flat irons. Ceramic can be blended with tourmaline, making the flat iron even more effective.
Titanium Flat Iron
Titanium is an outstanding conductor of heat. Hence, it heats up quickly and come with an ability to generate a lot of negative ions.
This often makes titanium flat irons more preferable than ceramic flat irons. However, you need to be careful when using a titanium flat iron. Since it heats up quickly, it has the potential to damage your hair if you are not careful or adept at using the flat iron.
It does offer better results compared to ceramic flat irons – it straightens and styles each strand so that you end up with no frizzy or puffy areas. These styling tools also require fewer passes on each lock of hair to achieve results, and this makes the entire styling process quicker.
Titanium versus Ceramic
Before you rush to invest in either a ceramic or titanium flat iron, it is necessary you understand the pros and cons of each type of styling tool so that you can make an informed purchase decision.
|Titanium Flat Iron||Check on Amazon|
|BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Iron
|Croc Classic Nano-Titanium Flat Iron|
|Ceramic Flat Iron||Check on Amazon|
|HSI Professional Ceramic Flat
|Infiniti Pro by Conair|
As stated earlier, titanium heats up quickly and evenly, leaving no scope for cold spots. It also retains heat longer so that you can finish styling your hair faster. However, if you are not adept at using titanium flat iron, it can damage your hair. It can heat up too quickly for non-professional stylists to use it effectively.
Ceramic, just like titanium, is a good conductor of heat, but it may not attain high temperatures like titanium. Hence, you will require more effort to style your hair and this means spending longer time in front of the mirror. The good news is you will not cause heat damage to your hair.
Titanium is an ionic metal wherein it produces a lot negative ions when it is heated. These ions are transferred onto your hair when you style it with a titanium flat iron. As a result, your hair looks shiny and glossy after you finish styling it.
Ceramic too produces negative ions on being heated, but less than titanium. However, since it takes longer to reach it optimal heating point, the transference of negative ions takes longer. You will get a shine, but not as brilliant as the one offered by titanium flat iron.
Titanium is an extremely strong and durable metal. It does not corrode like steel so you don’t have to worry about the metal peeling or chipping off, or deteriorating with time.
Ceramic tends to deteriorate over a period of time. Hence, as you continue using your ceramic flat iron, it can begin to chip and peel.
If you have fine to medium hair, you should opt for a ceramic flat iron as it is less damaging to your hair. It will ensure you enjoy safe styling for fraction of the cost of a salon. This is also the go-to flat iron if you have delicate hair as it will not get burned or damaged due to intense heat.
On the other hand, if you have frizzy and stubbornly curly hair, you require a titanium flat iron. It is also the perfect styling tool for normal, coarse and thick hair. It will style your hair efficiently and not leave behind any frizz or curl.
The added advantage is that a titanium flat iron will help maintain your hairstyle for a longer period of time compared to a ceramic flat iron. If you are looking to save time and boost styling efficiency, investing in a titanium flat iron is worthwhile.
You should check: Flat Iron for Thick Hair | Best Flat Iron For Afro Hair
Best Titanium Flat Irons
Here are some of the best titanium and ceramic flat irons in the market that you should take a closer look at: There are a range of titanium flat irons in the market. However, the following three are the best as they offer value for money, outstanding results, and prevent your hair from getting burned or damaged due to intense heat.
1. BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Straightening Iron
If you want to have smooth, shiny and glossy hair like a super model, there is no way you can afford to give BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium-Plated flat iron a miss. It is a respected brand name and ensures you get great outcome without expending too much energy.
The plates have nano-titanium, which means the titanium has been ground and infused into the plate. As a result, this flat iron is resistant to corrosion and can conduct a lot of heat effortlessly. The plates are five inches long and you enjoy a number of unique heat settings, with temperatures of up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. The slim design is ergonomic, and it is lightweight to ensure optimal comfort while using it.
- Heating plates made from durable and high-quality nano-titanium
- Smooth heating plate surface that effortless glides over the hair
- Uses infrared heat technology to prevent heat damage to the hair
- Can straighten frizzy hair within minutes
- Long-lasting results
- Temperature control to up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Available in three different plate sizes
- Expensive purchase
- Does not have automatic shut off
2. Croc Classic Nano-Titanium Flat Iron
The Croc Classic comes with nano-titanium plates that also use far infrared heat technology to make hair smooth and shiny. This flat iron has a digital display as well as a digital temperature control so that you have more control over the heat settings and can ensure the tool maintains the temperature precisely. It has 25 different heat settings, right from 200 degrees Fahrenheit to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. You can increase the setting by increments of 10 degrees.
This slim flat iron can be used for straightening and curling hair with ease. This flat iron is designed for normal to thick hair and does not have hot or cold spots. It can remove frizz with ease, but can also curl straight hair.
It is ideal for people with hard-to-straighten hair as it is extremely effective in such cases. It has automatic shut off and heats up 60 per cent faster than similar flat irons in the market. It also uses nano-silver technology that helps to deodorize as well as sterilize the plates.
- Long-lasting and durable due to presence of titanium
- Heats up quickly
- Comes with automatic shut off
- Digital temperature control and display
- Offers 25 different temperature settings of up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Minimizes heat damage to the hair as it uses far-infrared heat technology
- Gives hair a smooth and shiny finish
- Comes with nano-silver technology to sterilize and deodorize the heating plates
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Feels sturdy while using and glides through the hair effortlessly
- Reasonably priced
- Slightly bulky
- It can snag hair and hence, be careful while pulling it along your locks
Best Ceramic Flat Irons
If you are looking for quality ceramic flat irons, you will not be disappointed with these three. They ensure you can straighten hair with ease at home without burning or damaging it.
1. HSI Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron
This particular product is great for fine to coarse hair. It comes with solid ceramic heating plates wherein the ceramic is combined with tourmaline to ensure the tool gets heated to the selected temperature quickly. It also uses infrared heat technology so that your hair does not get burned or damaged.
It has as 360-degree swivel cord, making it comfortable to use in your left or right hair. This flat iron from HSI Professional comes with Argan oil that you can apply on your hair before straightening it. The oil helps to condition your hair and also prevents it from getting damaged by the heat. The end result is shiny, smooth and glossy hair that will make you cynosure of all eyes.
- Heats to the desired temperature quickly
- Does not need too many passes to make the hair straight
- Gives the hair a gorgeous shine
- Argan oil prevents environmental and heat damage
- Comes with an indicator light that alerts you that the flat iron has heated
- Does not give the hair a burned odor
- Comes with a swivel cord that makes it easy to style hair from any angle
- Allows you to set temperature for any kind of hair
- The temperature dial is present on the inside of the handle
- Does not have a digital display so it is difficult to set the temperature accurately
- Temperature control dial is small
- Does not power on the first time it is used. You need to push the reset button before turning it on
3. Infiniti Pro by Conair Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
The Infiniti Pro by Conair is available in three different plate sizes – one inch, 1.5-inch and two-inch. The heating plates are floating type and Conair states that this ensures better contact with your hair. The plates are made out of solid ceramic and hence, you can rest assured knowing that it will heat up quickly. Combined with tourmaline’s ability to conduct heat, your ceramic heating plates will hardly take 20 seconds to reach the desired temperature, and the plates will be uniformly heated.
If you are a price conscious home stylist then you will love this flat iron. It ensures your hair stays soft and shiny due to the high-tech oil-infused tourmaline ceramic technology. The slim Infiniti Pro by Conair comes with Argan oil that you can use to prevent damage due to heat while also conditioning your hair. The oil can also reverse the damaged caused by the harmful effects of environmental stressors and UV rays.
The starting temperature is 365 degrees Fahrenheit and it goes all the way to 445 degrees Fahrenheit, making sure that even the most stubborn hair will get straight with minimal effort. It comes with a safety shut off that kicks into play automatically. This slim and ergonomically designed flat iron offers great results, with even heating of the plates.
It has 30 heat settings and can reach temperatures of 455 degrees Fahrenheit. You can get plate sizes in varying widths, starting from one-inch. If you have frizzy and coarse hair, this is the perfect flat iron for you. It heats in merely 15 seconds and offers salon-like effect in a quick and efficient manner.
- Great for normal to extremely thick hair. It can also work wonders on coarse hair
- Floating plates make it easy not just to straighten hair, but also to curl and wave hair
- Comes in a range of plate sizes, but thinner and slimmer plates ensure better precision and accuracy
- Comes with automatic safety shut off to give you peace of mind
- Has a swivel cord that allows you to style your hair from any angle with ease
- Lightweight and hence, it is portable
- Long plates reduce the time needed to style hair
- Ceramic is infused with tourmaline that heats the plates quickly and also ensures they glide smoothly down your hair
- Does not come with an actual low setting, making the styling tool unsuitable for fine and delicate hair
- It can snag hair, as some users have stated that their hair got caught between the flat iron and the plates
- It is time-consuming to do curls, though straightening is quick and efficient
3. Remington S5500 Digital Anti Static Ceramic Hair Straightener
The Remington S5500 comes with one-inch ceramic heating plates that are extra long to ensure accurate styling. It is a great flat iron for thick as well as delicate hair. It can reach temperature of up to 410 degrees Fahrenheit that offers salon-like results.
It also has a turbo boost feature that ensures the flat iron reaches the desired temperature quickly. Otherwise, it takes 30 seconds to heat up. You can set the temperature you want by pushing a button and checking the digital display. There is no dial to turn so you never have to worry about changing the setting accidentally while straightening your hair.
This ceramic flat iron comes with a swivel cord that makes it easy to maneuver the flat iron when you doing the hair at the back of your head. It is equipped with a safety shut off that automatically switches off the flat iron if you do not use it 60 minutes. The anti-static feature of ceramic ensures your hair does not get stuck or singed in the heating plates.
- It is ergonomically designed to make hair styling effortless
- It offers a range of temperature settings that you can choose from based on your requirement and hair texture
- It is easy to use and lightweight
- Great quality for the price
- Comes with a push button to adjust temperature settings
- Has a hinge lock that makes it easy to carry it with you
- Affordably priced
- Reaches the desired temperature quickly, in about 30 seconds, but you can hasten the heating with the turbo boost feature
- Does not burn or snag hair
- Comes with automatic shut off
- Floating ceramic plates make it a bit tedious to style small sections
- The floating plates can make it more difficult to straighten thin hair
Now you know about the best ceramic and titanium flat irons that you can purchase. Both materials are amazing and offer outstanding performance. However, you should still think through your purchase.
Choosing the Best Flat Iron for Your Hair
It can be overwhelming to choose between these great hair styling tools. Hence, it is necessary that you do your due diligence. Before choosing your flat iron, look through the following tips to make a smart purchase decision.
Material: Ceramic and titanium heating plates are the best. They are the most popular materials used to make heating plates and offer great results.
Size: The size of your flat iron will depend on your hair type. If you have coarse hair, you should be looking for a flat iron that has wide and long heating plates. On the other hand, if you fine hair, smaller plates should suffice.
Temperature Control: Make sure your flat iron has adjustable temperature. Opt for one that offers the widest temperature range.
Weight: It is always best to get a lightweight flat iron. It will be easy to use and maneuver, and your hands will not get tired while styling.
Price: Flat irons come in a range of prices. Opt for one that offers the features you want and also fits into your budget with ease.
Warranty: As this is an electrical product, warranty is important. Any electrical defect or flaw in manufacturing will be covered by the warranty, and the manufacturer will replace the flat iron with a new one.
The Bottom Line
The next time there is a discussion related to ceramic vs titanium flat iron, you will be able to hold your own. Also, you have the knowledge and information now to choose the best flat iron for your hair. So, go ahead and check out these six flat irons and make a wise and smart purchase decision.
Ten articles before and after